Proper nutrition and adequate physical activity are important at any age but can play a critical role in our lives as we age. Millions of older adults are taking stock of their health and hitting the gym to get the physical activity they need to stave off chronic illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer and high blood pressure. Regular physical activity has beneficial effects on most (if not all) organ systems, and consequently prevents a broad range of health problems and diseases.
You’re never too old to exercise. Physical activity is likely to help keep you feeling young versus living a sedentary life. Activities that help build muscle strength, improve balance, and promote walking significantly reduce falls in older persons. Whether you enjoy walking on the treadmill, riding the stationary bike or taking group exercise classes like those available through the Healthways SilverSneakers® Fitness Program, it’s important
to keep moving.
If you are new to exercise or haven’t exercised in a long time, be sure to
consult your physician before starting a program. Here are some helpful tips
for staying active this fall:
• Engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate activity, such as brisk walking,
on five or more days.
• Include strength training exercises in your regular workouts at least twice a week to improve and maintain muscular strength and endurance.
• Make sure physical activities that enhance and maintain flexibility are part of your routine.
• If you have difficulty with your mobility, perform moderate amounts of low-impact activities such as swimming, water exercises or stretching.
• Gentle forms of yoga and tai chi help to promote flexibility, improve balance and increase strength.
The SilverSneakers Fitness Program has been proven to reduce health care costs by improving the health and well-being of members, helping them become active and motivating them to stay that way. With the SilverSneakers premier network, members have access to a variety of participating locations throughout the country, including Witham Health Services.
Witham Health Services offers the signature SilverSneakers® Muscular Strength & Range of Movement class. Classes will begin on Monday, August 27th at 10:30am. MSROM classes will be held on Mondays & Thursdays from 10:30am-11:15am in our South Pavilion Witham Wellness Center.
Make Witham Health Services your headquarters for fitness this spring and let SilverSneakers help you take charge of your health! To find out if you are eligible for SilverSneakers, please contact your health plan or stop by Witham Health Services 2605 N. Lebanon Street Lebanon, Indiana 46052. For more information on the program, call toll-free 1-888-423-4632 or visit www.silversneakers.com.